The U.S. consumer has been brainwashed and duped for over 55 years in believing the benefits of fluoridation to prevent tooth decay. Without knowing what fluoride really is, we have been convinced by the medical industry that it is an essential chemical for our teeth.
It is more interesting to point out that About 97% of western continental Europe has rejected, banned, or stopped fluoridation due to environmental, health, legal, or ethical concerns. Other countries that have also banned fluoridation of water are Japan, China, Israel, and India. So, we must ask ourselves, why doesn’t the United States take a more proactive stand to protect the health of its citizens. As with other deceptions that have been allowed to continue on in this country over the last ten years, I believe it is all about the money and the lobbying that has taken place by the aluminum and fertilizer industries. Most consumers do not know that fluoride is a highly toxic by-product of these industries, and they have convinced us that this toxin is beneficial to our teeth. The fluoride used for water fluoridation does not have FDA approval and is considered by the FDA as an "unapproved drug".
Some scientific facts on the biological effects of fluorides by Allen Buresz, D.C.:
1. Fluoride exposure disrupts the synthesis of collagen and leads to the breakdown of collagen in bone, tendon, muscle, skin, cartilage, lungs, kidney and trachea
2. Fluoride stimulates granule formation and oxygen consumption in white blood cells, but inhibits these processes when the white blood cell is challenged by a foreign agent in the blood.
3. Fluoride depletes the energy reserves and the ability of white blood cells to properly destroy foreign agents by the process of phagocytosis. As little as 0.2 ppm fluoride stimulates superoxide production in resting white blood cells, virtually abolishing phagocytosis. Even micro-molar amounts of fluoride, below 1 ppm, may seriously depress the ability of white blood cells to destroy pathogenic agents.
4. Fluoride confuses the immune system and causes it to attack the body's own tissues, and increases the tumor growth rate in cancer prone individuals.
5. Fluoride inhibits antibody formation in the blood.
6. Fluoride depresses thyroid activity.
7. Fluorides have a disruptive effect on various tissues in the body.
8. Fluoride promotes development of bone cancer.
9. Fluorides cause premature aging of the human body.
10. Fluoride ingestion from mouth rinses and dentifrices in children is extremely hazardous to biological development, life span and general health.
The latest research on fluoride toxicity has lead to the discovery of it being a neurotoxin. New research is also raising doubts about its efficacy for the tooth decay prevention, and, hence, many countries finally outlawing this treatment practice. This country has had a multiple-fold increase in learning disabilities, autism, hypo-thyroidism, cancer immune system disorders and other chronic ailments. All of these could be attributed to exposure to fluoride in our drinking and bathing water. As one doctor aptly stated: “No physician in his right mind would prescribe for a person he has never met, whose medical history he does not know, a substance known to be extremely toxic in low doses, with the intention of creating bodily change, with the advice: ‘Take as much as you like for the rest of your life because some children suffer from tooth decay.’ It is a preposterous notions.”
According to the Environmental Working Group, water fluoridation is a public health problem. Fluoride is often added to municipal water to reduce tooth-decay in children, but when consumed in water it actually has very little effect on dental health. The chemical is most effective when applied directly to teeth in toothpaste or mouth-rinse.
A growing body of evidence demonstrates the known and potential health consequences of fluoridated water:
· Permanent fluoride spotting on teeth (called dental fluorosis) is common and generally innocuous
· A 2006 National Research Council review indicated that long-term exposure to fluoride in water increases bone fracture rates.
· The same review concluded that fluoride might also affect thyroid, immune, and endocrine systems.
· Perhaps of greatest concern is a 2006 peer-reviewed study by four Harvard scientists and medical doctors indicating a correlation between fluoride exposure and increased incidence of osteosarcoma -- a dangerous bone cancer -- in boys.
According to the Fluoride Action Network, FluorideAlert Thyroid Nation:
“The effects of fluoride on various aspects of endocrine function should be examined, particularly with respect to a possible role in the development of several diseases or mental states in the United States. Major areas of investigation include . . . thyroid disease (especially in light of decreasing iodine intake by the U.S. population).” (National Research Council 2006).
The thyroid gland, which regulates the body’s metabolic rate, plays an exquisitely important role in human health. Because all metabolically active cells require thyroid hormone for proper functioning, thyroid disruption can have a wide range of effects on virtually every system of the body. Chemicals that interfere with thyroid function must be treated with great caution. According to the U.S. National Research Council, and as discussed below, there is substantial evidence that fluoride exposure can impact thyroid function in some individuals.
Based on fluoride’s anti-thyroid effects in hyperthyroid patients, concerns have arisen about whether current fluoride exposures could be contributing to the increased prevalence of under-active thyroid (clinical and/or subclinical hypothyroidism) in the United States and other nations. Supporting this possibility are a number of studies from China, India, and Russia that have found alterations in thyroid hormones, including reduced T3 and increased TSH, in populations exposed to elevated levels of fluoride in the workplace or in the water. (NRC 2006; Susheela 2005; Mikhailets 1996; Yao 1996; Bachinskii 1985; Yu 1985).
Read: The Case against Fluoride: How Hazardous Waste Ended Up in Our Drinking Water and the Bad Science and Powerful Politics That Keep It There by Dr. Paul Connett. Paul Connett, a chemist by training and director of the Fluoride Action Network (FAN), is recognized worldwide as a leader in the movement to eliminate fluoride from municipal water supplies, and I'm pleased to be working with him to achieve this goal.
In July of 2012, a team of Harvard researchers published a “meta-analysis” of 27 studies that have investigated the relationship between fluoride and human intelligence. (Choi 2012) The overwhelming majority of these studies found that fluoride exposure was associated with reduced IQ in children. In fact, 26 of the 27 studies that met the Harvard team’s inclusion criteria found a relationship between elevated fluoride and reduced IQ. The Harvard team thus concluded that fluoride’s effect on the developing brain of children should be a “high research priority” in countries like the U.S. where, despite mass fluoridation programs, no studies have yet been conducted to investigate the issue.
As noted by Dr. Philippe Grandjean, an environmental health scientist at the Harvard School of Public Health: “Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause chemical brain drain. The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us.”
From Dr. Mercola’s article: “The Truth About Fluoride Becoming More Widely Know”
Ten facts about fluoride you should be aware of:
1. Most developed countries do not fluoridate their water.
2. Fluoridated countries do not have less tooth than non-fluoridated countries
3. Fluoride affects many tissues in the body beyond the teeth (bones, brains, thyroid and pineal glands, various organs)
4. Fluoridation is not a natural process
5. 40% of American teenagers show overexposure to fluoride leading to dental fluorosis.
6. For infants, fluoridated water provides no benefits, only risks; new rules are suggesting not giving fluoridated water to infants.
7. Fluoride supplements have never been approved by the FDA but are sold by presecription.
8. Fluoride is the only chemical added to water that does nothing for the water but is claimed to have medical benefits.
9. Ingesting fluoride provides little benefits to teeth.
10. Disadvantaged communities are the most disadvantaged to fluoride water treatment.
In conclusion how do we, as consumers in the U.S., protect ourselves? Unfortunately, fluoride in tap water is not easily removed. Traditional carbon-based water treatment systems will not remove fluoride, but there are special medias that can be combined in a water filtration system to treat this. These two medias, one called activated alumina and the other, bone char, do a fairly decent job in reducing fluoride from drinking water. There are some limitations to both medias, but I would recommend the latter, because it is a naturally derived media that actually can reduce much more that just fluoride. The best system available is a reverse osmosis (RO) water purification system which will remove all fluoride. We can protect ourselves against this very toxic substance with affordable water treatment systems. Secondly, stop using toothpastes and mouthwashes that contain this toxic chemical. It is up to us and how we choose to be responsible for our own health. Staying informed today is critical for our survival.